Circuit Court information and forms
The Lilac Tree
Separation and divorce is complicated. The Lilac Tree provides support for individuals at any stage of this process.
Their Mission: Helping people navigate and overcome the challenges of separation and divorce by providing access to legal information, support networks and professional resources.
Their Vision: For all people to confidently navigate the process of family breakdown and divorce.
Their Model: The Lilac Tree offers five unique programs:
1) Personalized Information Sessions: During a 60-minute private and confidential meeting with a trained Lilac Tree counselor, individuals contemplating or at the beginning stages of separation or divorce receive guidance to help understand the legal, financial and emotional considerations involved in separation and divorce.
2) Divorce University™: The Lilac Tree offers a range of workshops, seminars, videos and webinars aimed at educating individuals on a variety of legal, financial, therapeutic and self-help topics. Presenters are qualified experts in their field who volunteer their time. More Info: Workshops | Divorce University
3) Support Groups: Social work professionals lead 8-week (16 hour) groups in a therapeutic, compassionate and supportive environment. Groups serve to connect individuals facing similar challenges to share their experiences and learn from each other. More Info: Support Groups
4) Referral Program: The Lilac Tree maintains a registry of qualified attorneys, mediators, therapists, financial planners and social service providers. Referrals are made free of charge.
5) Self-Represented Litigant Education: Beginning in 2019, the Lilac Tree will provide general information about the law and the legal process to individuals who are not represented by an attorney.
The Lilac Tree is a non-profit organization based in Evanston and serves individuals throughout Illinois. We serve people regardless of socioeconomic status, education, ethnicity, geography, native language, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Fee assistance is available for individuals with limited financial resources. All information shared with The Lilac Tree remains strictly confidential.
American Bar Association’s Section of Family Law offers easy-to-read information about what you can expect during divorce and child custody proceedings.
The quarterly news-and-feature membership magazine of the Section of Family Law, addresses current family law topics and provides useful how-to articles in every issue. For more than 20 years, mental health professionals, judges, family lawyers, and their clients have turned to Family Advocate for practical information and advice on handling increasingly complex cases.
The following issues of Family Advocate have been designed and created especially for individuals, families or children going through a divorce:
Surviving Your Divorce
Your Parenting Plan
Coparenting During and After Divorce
My Parents are Getting Divorced: A Handbook by and for Kids
What Your Children Need…Now: A Divorcing Parent’s Handbook
You’ve Got Choices
The 50+ Divorce
Illuminating Answers to 200+ FAQ’s About Divorce
Divorce Forms: A Handbook for Clients